Ad

Friday 12 June 2015

The course work push Part 2 - The final push or, what do you call a teacher with no students?

I go on jury service on Monday 15th June. The last day for students is 19th June. The long and short of it is that today is my final day teaching for this academic year.

Let that sink in for a moment - it's the 12th June and it's my last day teaching for the year - I'll start doing proper lessons again on 1st September.

It's been a successful year I hope, although I won't really be able to tell until A level results day but it certainly feels better prepared, better resourced and more tailored to individual students. I feel we've 'cracked' the BTEC qualification to a greater or lesser extent now. We know how it works and how to play to the strengths of the students and the qualification.

We still have the students who leave it all until the very last minute and don't really work to their full capacity until the 11th hour. The consequence is we spent the very end of the qualification working with the people who have been lazy throughout the year when really what you want to do is spend time relishing in the victories of the students who have done brilliantly all year and now get to reap the rewards.

But now that is all over, the students have all got their grades, the marking is complete and filed away, all the paperwork has been done so that the results can be sent off to the exam board. There is part of me that feels like a mother bird after all the chicks have flown the nest, I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing with myself. I should be relishing in my new spare time, and I will, but not quite yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment