Ad

Sunday 27 December 2015

A no preparation technique to encourage creativity

I find that when learning the law students get very few opportunities to be creative. Most times there is a right or a wrong answer, the law is the law and it must be learnt accurately, a small distortion of an offence, for example, can completely change the meaning. I understand that accuracy when learning is a skill which can be invaluable but it's not always the most exciting thing in the world and I love to give my students the opportunity to be more creative.

For teachers of older students creativity often means making a spider diagram on A3 sugar paper with coloured pens. Now I won't have a bad word spoken about this technique, it can be a great way of injecting some interest, especially when it comes to revision.

The revised Blooms taxonomy puts 'creating' at the top of the hierarchy of skills meaning taking existing knowledge and reorganising it into something new and it is from this perspective that I took this new approach which I try to use as often as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment